2015 - Users Conference - San Francisco - Power Generation
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) – Improved Situational Awareness with OSISoft PI System
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Emergency Response Data System (ERDS) powered by the PI System has been viewed as a huge success by the NRC and industry. The integration of the PI Server, PI ProcessBook, and PI WebParts delivers emergency response managers a single pane dashboard of critical data to make informed decisions on emergency response. The ERDS' role is to provide NRC and the regulated community comprehensive situational awareness tool to capture and maintain an accurate, shared, operating picture. It provides decision makers from multiple stakeholder communities with a shared situational awareness of data from primary and secondary systems (i.e., Plant Operations and System-level Safety, Security, and Emergency Preparedness (SSEP) components) to integration of geospatial location based data and local meteorological data.
Having a mature tool in place that facilitates a common information sharing environment which can be accessed from multiple locations is a key element to improving critical infrastructure protection and the safety of our communities. Having tools such as ERDS built on the PI System will help the industry and NRC face the new challenges as the all-digital breed of reactors are brought online. Situational Awareness has expanded to include new and more complex cyber security controls and calls for the integration of location based data, data feeds from sensors, internal, and external data sources all while managing the exponential increase in critical digital assets (CDAs) associated with the new breed of digital reactors now under construction. The authors will share plans for:
- building on the stable PI System platform
- integrating new PI System products
- modeling and simulating emergency response scenarios using the PI System simulator
- integrating ESRI GIS for geospatial awareness of assets at risk and satellite communication technologies to deliver a comprehensive situational awareness tool to address the use case scenarios for monitoring and managing increasing cyber security threats to CIP and emergency response management
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
Steve Sage is a Senior Systems Engineer with Project Performance Company and has over 20 years of IT, project management, and network infrastructure experience. Sage serves various roles for PPC on multiple IT projects and has past experience within the federal government as well as the private sector. Sage has managed, coordinated, and supported activities ranging from large-scale Program Management Office operations to full life-cycle system development projects and his responsibilities include system design and integration for several government agencies. Sage implemented the PI System for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) which uses the PI System to capture nuclear plant sensor based data to assist with emergency preparedness and incident response.
Project Performance Company (PPC)
Matt McDonald is Vice President of Energy, Environment and Strategic Solutions at Project Performance Company (PPC) and has over 20 years of management experience in assisting organizations in meeting their business transformation goals. In his role, he and his team have developed solutions on OSIsoft PI System that address some of the nation's most critical challenges, including:
- Improving situational awareness for Emergency Planning and Preparedness for the industrial/manufacturing and public sector
- Generating energy management savings using PPC's EMneXus, a suite of sustainable solutions integrated with OSIsoft PI that optimize energy resources, mitigate environmental challenges, protect our environment, and drive organizational effectiveness
- Securing Industrial Control Systems (ICS) using OSIsoft PI System to aggregate data and process it through cyber security management systems to provide improved information assurance