PI Coresight was renamed PI Vision in 2017
SDG&E Electric Distribution Operations utilizes the PI System to integrate the distribution SCADA with data on wildfires, lightning strikes, and weather to provide real-time situational awareness for control room to board room. This presentation will show how the PI System--specifically PI AF, Coresigth and PI Notifications--dramatically changed the way that the utility runs distribution operations by allowing SDG&E to:
• Monitor all real-time and historical telemetry reads from circuits, switches, breakers, banks, etc. with PI Coresight, PI ProcessBook, smart phones
• Monitor status of switching operations and provide proactive remediation capabilities
• Send real-time notifications to assigned groups to correct any issues, such as telemetry reads, device status, communications, etc. in early state
• Plan, manage and monitor load curtailment in the event of crisis
• Play-back events and provide ‘recreation of incidents’ or ‘sequence of events’ for TaxonomyItemHtml-cause analysis or identifying failure of distribution assets
• Provide early-warning of natural events or disasters (storms, wildfires, etc.)
• Use advanced weather instrumentation to monitor real-time wind direction, wind speed, wind gust, temperature, and relative humidity
The PI System has enabled SDG&E to significantly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of electric distribution operations monitoring and awareness and ensured customers safe, reliable energy and improved quality of life for all of the SDG&E service area.
Khoa Vo has been working with San Diego Gas and Electric for seven years. His primary roles include SCADA system admin, Oracle admin and PI application developer. As a system and Oracle admin, Vo is responsible for major upgrades and keeping the system and databases up and running. He wrote many programs and UNIX scripts to monitor the system and Oracle databases, so he and his team can catch and fix issues early before fatal errors occur. As a PI System application developer, Vo has created multiple PI System applications and written many Visual Basic programs which us PI System data to provide SDG&E additional tools to maintain and operate their system safely.