HOW UNIDIRECTIONAL SECURITY GATEWAYS WORK
Unidirectional Gateways replicate servers, emulate industrial devices and translate industrial data to cloud formats, enabling vendor monitoring, industrial cloud services, and visibility into operations for modern enterprises and customers. Waterfall’s technology is a plug-and-play replacement for firewalls, without the vulnerabilities and maintenance issues that always accompany firewall deployments.
- SAFE IT/OT INTEGRATION: Seamless IT/OT network integration without introducing Internet-based cyber threats
- STRONGER THAN FIREWALLS: An evolutionary alternative to firewalls in a strong preventative cybersecurity program for Industrial Control Systems
- REDUCED DOWN-TIME: Ensure operational continuity by preventing plant shut downs and potential damage to plant assets, the environment and even human lives
- IMPASSABLE PHYSICAL BARRIER: A Unidirectional Gateway is a combination of hardware and software preventing cyber threats from propagating back into the protected network
- PLUG-N-PLAY SOLUTION: 100+ software connectors on the market, commercial off the shelf solutions
Waterfall’s simple installation, configuration and monitoring tools make it easy for PI System users. Comprehensive diagnostics include real-time alarms that alert the user of fault conditions via Syslog, Windows logs, email, SNMP traps, log files, PI system tags and Waterfall’s monitoring console.
Certifications, Standards & Regulations and Assessments
- Certified: Common Criteria EAL 4+, ANSSI CSPN, NITES Singapore
- Assessed by: US DHS SCADA Security Test Bed & Japanese Control Systems Security Center Bed, Idaho National Labs, Digital Bond Labs, GE Bently Nevada Systems Labs, and NISA Israel
- Complies with global ICS Standards & Regulations, NERC CIP, IEC 62443, NRC 5.71, NIST 800-82r2, CFATS, ISO, IIC SF, ANSSI, and many more.
Waterfall Unidirectional Security Gateways enable monitoring of industrial networks for operational needs without cyber risk. The gateways provide network perimeter protection with a hardware-enforced, physical barrier preventing remote attacks, malware, DOS attacks, ransomware and human errors originating on external networks.
Unidirectional Gateways contain both hardware and software components. The hardware components include a TX Module, containing a fiber-optic transmitter/ laser, and an RX Module, containing an optical receiver, but no laser. The gateway hardware can transmit information from a signaling system network to an external network, but is physically incapable of propagating any virus, DOS attack, human error or any cyber attack at all back into the protected network.
Since 2009, Waterfall Security has been a trusted partner of OSIsoft, securing the IT/OT connection in PI System deployments for many mutual customers worldwide. OSIsoft, a world leader in operational intelligence with its flagship PI System, enables businesses to capture and leverage sensor-based data across enterprises for improved efficiency.
Waterfall’s solution suite for the PI System comprehensively addresses the needs of industrial systems to achieve safe integration of operational technology (OT) and information technology (IT) networks, while maximizing access to OSIsoft PI System Data sets and analytics capabilities. By deploying Waterfall for PI System®, businesses eliminate the risk of remote cyberattacks entering their industrial control systems while enabling seamless access to critical operational data for improved efficiencies.