2018 - PI World - San Francisco - Forest & Paper Products
PI System and BI, Essential Tools for Productivity in the Paper Industry
Industrial Insight and International Paper have been using PI AF, PI Event Frames, PI Vision, PI OLEDB Enterprise, and the PI BI Integrator for Analytics to investigate numerous issues plaguing several mills. We have also combined these tools with both Tableau and Power BI to understand problems in ways we never have before.
Some of the issues we have looked at:
1. Paper Machine runnability
2. Paper Machine centerlining
3. Batch Digester performance and steam usage
4. Sheet break re-thread performance on a paper machine
Some other issues to address would be:
1. How to get people on board with the designs
2. Challenges in rolling out new tools (how do you let everyone know they are there, how to use them, etc.)
3. Real-time vs. post-process analytics and the nuances of each
Industrial Insight, Inc
Jim Gavigan is President and Founder of Industrial Insight, Inc, which focuses on helping companies leverage data to increase profitability. Jim has a background in control engineering and in sales, including a 2 year stint with OSIsoft as an account manager. Jim has been developing technical solutions around the PI System for Fortune 500 companies for the last 2 1/2 years and is always looking to push the envelope on what can be done.
Rick Smith is a Chemical Engineer with 34 years of paper industry experience. His career has always been focused around process control, process data and mill information systems. His focus has long been to get the data to the decision makers to improve product quality and company profitability. Rick has worked with the PI system since the ‘90’s and spend a lot of time in the past five years educating new hires on methods for retrieving process data to solve day-to-day problems.