2019 - PI World - San Francisco - Transmission and Distribution
AZ Public Service uses the PI System to transform O&M of 10 Utility-scale solar sites (APS)
APS, an investor-owned electric utility in the American Southwest, has long used the PI System throughout its operations and since 2011 has monitored 10 utility-scale solar sites with PI. In 2018, APS conducted a project to transform the way the PI system was used in O&M of these sites. This project’s scope included:
• Collect data from all assets at 10 sites and monitor asset performance independently, compare to peers, and raise PI Notifications on detected issues
• Enable Condition Based Maintenance with the work management system to create work requests and orders
• Provide access to PI System data to field techs and capture field data
• Provide situational awareness displays in PI Vision, inc: ESRI (geospatial)
• Streamline the near real time reporting process
• Provide aggregate insights into asset performance using MS PowerBI
We cover the solution delivered, key technologies and integration, change management, benefits derived and future opportunities.
Patrick is a program manager who has been working with APS for the last several years to help define, build and deliver solutions based on PI technology and promote adoption and use of these valuable tools.
Jeremy leads the DER solar operations and maintenance team and has been a champion and key stakeholder for the PI solutions that have been delivered.
AZ Public Service
Naren Koka leads the PI team at APS. Naren has been a PI Administrator at APS for the past 5 years. Naren has a Master’s degree in Industrial Automation with a background in Mechanical Engineering. At APS, Naren supports PI systems at the Fossil Generation plants and the Transmission Energy Control Center. At home he works on Raspberry PI and Home Assistant. Naren’s new passions are IIoT and Machine Learning.