|In today’s market, innovation and integration are key steps to achieve manufacturing excellence. Many corporations are advancing their IT technology to react to and prepare for operational challenges, new corporate governance mandates, and changes in external market forces.
The first step is to methodically engineer and collect plant floor data from all sources into a PI System infrastructure. Equally critical is the technology to connect to data from the corporate ERP system and various business information systems outside of the SAP environment. The end result is a combination and integration of transactional data and process data. Two technology leaders, OSIsoft and SAP, provide today’s enterprise with a combined software solution needed to create the “Perfect Plant.” The benefits of the combined data set help companies achieve excellence in the following areas:
- Business and process analytics and dashboards presenting Key Performance Metrics for operational decision support and the management of production costs.
- Real-time information in the proper context for quick reaction to changes in demand for maximum efficiencies at minimum costs.
- Data compilation for product costing based on actual material consumption required by the plant for timely order completion at the efficient supply levels.
- Condition-based maintenance to monitor critical components of older equipment, control costs, and avoid reliability issues.
- Simple modeling and monitoring of material and energy balances to identify areas for increased efficiency rather than expensive surveys, studies, and programs.
- Easier, lower cost compliance reporting for OSHA, EPA, and SOX.
- Energy monitoring for peak power demand and contracted levels.
- Fast integration for acquisition opportunities.
RTI International Titanium Metals: Achieving Operational Excellence
“The PI System and MII have helped streamline our shop floor visibility of OEE initiative resulting in greater shop floor efficiencies."
Tony Malangone, CIO
PSE&G: Condition Based Maintenance
“We get a detailed breakdown on equipment costs and man/hours to service that gives us important business benefits. Without the use of the PI System, it would have taken us several months to gather and analyze the information.”
Angela Rothweiler, Principal Engineer